Sunday, July 12, 2009

Saturday

I started today off with a pancake breakfast here at the park. They have all you can eat (for me that is 2) pancakes, sausage, juice, and coffee for $3 here almost every Saturday. Sometimes it is eggs and bacon, or biscuits and gravy.

After breakfast Marcia and I did the flea markets and a few yard sales. We found a good deal on vitamins, and a few other items. I was surprised to see Granger County Tomatoes cheaper in the chain stores than they were at the flea markets.

Granger County Tomatoes are (really were) the best tomatoes on the market, but for the past few years they try way too hard to get them ready to pick too early, and try to keep them coming way too late. Most of them are grown around Cherokee Lake and they use the lake to water them. Years ago you could only get them for maybe 6-8 weeks out of the year, but now they start selling them in April until October.

When we got back to the rig Marcia had green beans cooking, she cooked some of the fresh corn on the cob we bought, she sliced up some fresh cucumbers and some of those famous Granger County Tomatoes. We had a feast fit for a king, good old home cooking fresh from someone's garden.

I really like this time of year, people around here that put out gardens are often too eager to share the bounty. Some eat all they want, and can until they are sick of canning, and then they give the remains to who ever will take it. Since I never could grow anything I am always eager to accept it.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to finishing off the leftovers from today...

( I did do pretty good on my reduction diet, I didn't go back for seconds.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, just please keep it clean and no SPAM.